Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Rainy Day At The Zoo


Today we took 18 kids to the zoo. Of course after a beautiful weekend it was bound to rain! It was a busy and hectic from the moment I walked into the office. You see all of the children had to have their car seats for the trip so they were getting out of their cars and bringing them into school and then we were putting them in the cars for the trip. I rode with a very nice mother of on of the boys in our class with 4 of the children. Seems harmless right? Yeah, except she is also the funeral director's wife. So as we drove (in the car that we used to transport James to the cemetery in) all the memories of that just few through my head. They are a very nice family but I have a hard time looking them in the eye because of the whole situation, but must because they are the parents of one of my students. 
We arrived at the zoo and it was just cloudy so we thought we would ride the train first and get that out of the way. All was going well and then the rain started. Just dripping at first and then lets just say it was a good thing we had some umbrellas. We went to see the animals that were inside and then headed to the pavilions for lunch. Lunch was cold and wet but the kids had a blast, so it was all worth it. The ride back to school was about the same as the ride there, a little strange.
I went out for my lunch break and on the way back I decided to stop by the cemetery just for a minute. I drove up and go out to look around and make sure everything around James was still good. The stone should be in by the end of summer. It is a black stone from India that Mel picked out. I have a lot of respect for Mel. He made all the arrangements for James by himself. I was stuck in the hospital and couldn't go with him. I just know that I would never have been about to make all of the decisions alone the way he did. He is a very strong husband and father!

1 comment:

  1. the small everyday things reminds us of many bigger things...esp. the painful ones...but it oso reminds us of the many really big good things...like Mel being there in a big way for you...rainy day and sunshine...

    ReplyDelete